Tyler Florence Fridays: Farmer's Market Potatoes, Part One


Remember a few weeks ago when I went to the opening of the Ottawa Farmer's Market? One of the things I brought back with me was some lovely potatoes. Two different kinds, actually.

Well, the two different kinds of potatoes means you get two different potato posts!

To start, I used these lovely Red Cheiftain potatoes to make Tyler Florence's Crispy and Creamy New Potato Pie.

First the potatoes are boiled with a bay leaf, then smashed with some sour cream, some horseradish, chives and more chives. Then they are put in a pan, flattened into a pancake like shape, and baked in the oven to get a crispy outside texture, while the inside stays soft and creamy.

My outside texture didn't work too well, most of it stuck to the pan, despite the oil on the bottom of it, but it was alright. This "pie" was very good, tasty, and simple to make, even on a busy weekday.

And it is another one of those "presents very elegantly" dishes, one that would also do well in smaller sizes for a make ahead or fancy meal. I can easily see this pairing with a nice roast beef, a turkey dinner, and, dare I say it, yes, I'll dare... a roast chicken dinner. It needs no extras with it, but could so easily be customized to your own flavors and liking.

I'm calling this one a winner and submitting it for Tyler Florence Fridays.

Crispy and Creamy New Potato Pie

by Tyler Florence, as found on the FoodNetwork

2 pounds potatoes, washed and halved
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon freshly grated horseradish (or prepared)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chives, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Wash and boil potatoes in salty water with bay leaf until fork tender. Drain potatoes and mash along with horseradish, sour cream, and chives. Season with salt and pepper.

Put mixture into a 10-inch skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and bake until golden and crispy. To serve, invert onto a plate and cut into pieces.


8 comments:

NKP said...

That looks so good! I haven't seen anything like that before. I really must remember to look online and not just at his books.
Delish!

Nancy said...

I made this for our Christmas dinner ~ it was so good!

Megan said...

Ah, yes, I remember that recipe. The kids thought I was crazy when I said we were having potato pie for dinner!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Wow--this looks amazing, so creamy and good!

Arlene Delloro said...

I want some of that...now! I'm definitely putting it on next week's menu, though I may have to skip a few meals to adjust for the calories.

pam said...

That does look good. I think it would be great as an individual side dish, baked in it's pan.

karen said...

bookmarking this one. that sounds and looks delicious.

Peabody said...

That looks beyond fantastic! I have been on such a potato kick as of late.