TFF: What is with the peas?


I made this quite awhile back and almost forgot about it. It was tastier than it looks like it would be, Tyler's recipe for Penne with sausages and cream sauce. Basically just my regular penne with some sausages thrown in and then cream added to the tomatoes.

And then peas.

Sure, they are green. They add color to an otherwise monotone dish. I like peas. But I don't get them here. They don't add to the flavor or the texture. Actually they were rather difficult to eat in a bite with everything else. Instead you finished all the pasta and sausages and tomatoes in your bowl and ended up with some peas at the bottom, in a creamy tomato sauce. Which worked for my husband, as he dislikes peas and could ignore them easily. But even he said, "They don't actually add anything to it, do they?"

Which puts this Tyler recipe on the "Redo but with modifications" list. Which is an improvement over the "Never make this again" list. And with that, it becomes this week's submission to Tyler Florence Fridays. Oh and the recipe comes from Dinner at My House.

On a totally unrelated note, I thought I'd share a "recipe" from my oldest son. What he had for after school snack yesterday: creamy peanut butter on a plate, with spanish salted peanuts on top. Using his fingers, he would pick up a peanut and scoop up the peanut butter before popping it into his mouth. This is what he had left by the time I noticed he'd done this, though I suspect he had alot more when he started. (Which also explains why he barely ate dinner and didn't complain of hunger afterwards, he'd filled up on peanut butter!)

7 comments:

Laura said...

That is HYSTERICAL! My kids would eat that if they could! And I have that issue in a lot of dishes (the pea thing), like salads with legumes, for example.

NKP said...

So funny! I liked the peas, but I can see your point - baby spinach would have melded in better.

Kim said...

I like Natashya's idea of spinach. I think that would be healthier and tastier. Good idea Natashya!! I agree with you about the peas in the bottom of the bowl: ) That has also happened to me. Looks like it is really tasty. I love pasta.c

Megan said...

Well, what goes better with peanut butter than peanuts? The boy has a good point, you know.

Love the pasta dish, but peas? Definitely leave them out!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I am a pea lover but I get the whole bite ratio thing too. I like the spinach idea!

Joanne said...

Perhaps on occasion Tyler feels like he needs to add in a veggie just for the hell of it, hence the peas. I, personally, would add broccoli. Just because I really like broccoli. It looks really good though, peas notwithstanding.

That is SO funny about your son. One of my friends loves peanut butter so much that to this day, he will dip anything in it. At least it's healthy!

Sara said...

Jamie Oliver has a similar recipe - a tomato sausage pasta with peas added at the end. It's like they're trying to add a veggie but don't know how, or something.