Soups on: Sweet Potato Curry Coconut Soup



You may recall that when I attended Savor the Tulips a few weeks ago, I raved about a soup served there. The Sweet Potato Curry Coconut soup from The Red Apron, a local shop run by two ladies, Jo-Ann and Jennifer. I loved that soup. I went back for more of that soup, it was so good.

When I got home, I emailed the ladies and asked them for a recipe. Not for myself, no, not at all. So I could share with my readers, of course. (You believe me, right?)

Well they were happy to come up with a recipe for me, and as I said I would, I'm sharing it with you!

Thank you Jo-Ann and Jennifer! (Btw, they sell a really nice granola at the Ottawa Farmer's Market on Sunday mornings. My kids inhaled the three types available.)

Sweet Potato Curry Coconut Soup
from The Red Apron

Olive oil or canola oil
1 medium white onion, diced
2 clove garlic, diced

2 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
5 Medium sized Sweet Potatoes
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock

2 cans coconut milk
1 pinch sugar
1 ½ teaspoon curry powder, or to your taste
1 pinch nutmeg
½ cup whipping cream (optional)
Salt and pepper


1: Place sweet potatoes on a greased baking sheet and pierce with a fork. Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until tender. Let cool and remove skin and mash with a fork.

2: Sauté onion, garlic and ginger in oil until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add stock, coconut milk, sugar, curry, nutmeg and mix well. Add sweet potato, stir until combined and simmer for 15-20. Taste for seasoning.
3: Blend with a hand blender or remove from heat and cool. Blend in batches in a blender and add more water/stock if necessary to achieve the desired consistency. Return to pot and simmer until heated through and finish with the whipping cream (optional). Serve.

2 comments:

creampuff said...

You know, no matter how hard I try, I just can't make myself like curry. But if I did like curry, I know I'd love this soup!

Missy "Photographer Sydney" John said...

Ohh... i never tried a curry coconut soup before..