Farmer's Market: I can't wait for the next growing season


It was opening day at the North Gower Farmer's Market this morning. Bags and camera in tow, I threw the kids into the car and got lost on my way to it. Silly of me, getting lost. Followed the sign that said "Farmer's market this way" and it wasn't the right way.

Luckily, I was not in a completely unfamiliar area, and my husband can get me unlost from anywhere, just with a phone call.


Only one vendor selling fresh produce, Rochon Farms, the rest were a combination of plants and alot of crafty items. I was not interested in crafty items, and while I bought some basil plants (cause I've killed two since I showed the picture of mine in my kitchen window), I was after some produce.

This spinach, while a bit pricey, will make some lovely creamed spinach. I hope.


Yes, my little guy is still coming to the markets with me with my little point and shoot camera. It is amazing how quickly even the biggest frown disappears when someone sees him taking pictures. He had a former teacher, whom we ran into at the market, laughing when after he took this shot, he took a picture of his feet.


My husbands dinner plan for today was hamburgers, so he'd requested tomatoes. I wasn't hopeful going in but paid the $5.50 to get him these juicy, fresh tomatoes. And they were good on my burger.


I don't like cucumbers, unless they are in tzaziki sauce, but my little guy does, so he carefully examined all the cucs and picked one to his liking. He'll eat it with his lunch at school on Monday.


And while none of us like radishes, I love the colors of them, so had to take a picture.

I also bought some asparagus, at $2.50 a bunch, a much better price than the $6 a bunch it was 3 weeks ago.

Hopefully in a few more weeks there will be a better selection of produce to be had. Strawberry season is only about a month away and I can't wait!

The North Gower Farmer's Market is each Saturday, from 8:30am to 1pm, from now until October 30th, rain or shine.

4 comments:

Megan said...

What great pictures - I feel like I was right there with you!

Shari said...

Isn't it great to be able to buy fresh produce like that! Thanks for sharing! It's inspiring.

natalia said...

Ciao ! I'd love to have a farmers market around !

PheMom said...

Wow! Our market doesn't even open for another two weeks! Yours looks gorgeous!