BBQ Beef Ribs, without the BBQ


One of my plans for last week's dinner involved making beef ribs in my slow cooker.

If you think about it, a slow cooker is a great way to make ribs. The best ribs are those that are cooked at a low temperature over a long period of time. Sounds like a slow cooker to me.

I used the last of my part cow I bought in the fall, three packages of beef braising ribs. Braising ribs aren't my favourite cut of meat, but I had them and needed to use them.

Hands on time for this was minimal. I browned the ribs in the oven while getting my lunch together for work that day, then chopped up some garlic and onions, added everything to the pot with a jar of bbq sauce (I used a President's Choice Chicken and Rib sauce, which was okay, but I like Honey Garlic so much better.) When I came home from work, all I had to do was cook up some corn on the cobb and dinner was ready.

Everyone enjoyed this, and clean up was a breeze.

You can find the recipe for this over at A Year of Slow Cooking.

Almost forgot - my crock pot had a good amount of sauce/liquid in it at the bottom. If you have time, rice would be a great accompaniment, with the sauce poured liberally over the top.