Menu Plan Monday: Bonus recipe

Last week's plan went pretty well as planned. I didn't end up with subs with my children on Thursday, but we did still eat out. Other nights I cooked despite not really wanting to cook, or eat what I was cooking, but that's not a bad thing.

On to this weeks plan:

Sunday: Roast beef with gravy, cabbage and potato gratin and carrots. I completely forgot to take a picture of the gratin, but know what I did making it, so I will include my "recipe" below.

Monday: BLT's. My oldest son has said he wants to help make dinner and this is what he requested.

Tuesday: Slow cooker shredded salsa pork on tortillas

Wednesday: Beef and Broccoli with rice

Thursday: Meatball subs with salad

Friday: Breakfast for dinner

Don't forget to post your own menu plan at Menu Plan Mondays over at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

Cabbage and Potato Gratin
by me, serves 4-6

1/2 head of savoy cabbage, shredded
3 baking potatoes, scrubbed clean and sliced thinly (but don't worry if they aren't even or too thin)
grated Parmesan cheese, roughly 3/4 cup
grated Pecorino cheese, roughly 3/4 cup
1 1/2 - 2 cups heavy cream
1-2 cloves garlic, smashed
4 green onions, sliced, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter, plus more for buttering the dish
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

Heat oil and butter in medium skillet. While they melt together, preheat oven to 375F.

Saute the cabbage in the pan with the butter and oil, giving a sprinkling of salt and pepper, until wilted and soft. Add in 3 of the 4 green onions and continue to cook for an additional minute or two.

Warm the cream with the garlic cloves, being careful not to boil. Set aside and let the garlic infuse the cream.

Butter an oven proof casserole dish. Place a single layer of potatoes in the bottom of the dish, sprinkle with salt, pepper and some of the grated cheeses. Cover with another layer of potatoes. Spread the cabbage over the potatoes and sprinkle with some more cheese. Place a third layer of potatoes, again sprinkling with salt, pepper and cheese. Add one more layer of potatoes. Pour the warm cream slowly over the potatoes, stopping when you have reached the top of the potato layers. You may have left over cream.

Sprinkle a generous amount of the cheeses on the top, but leave a bit of cheese aside for browning.

Cover and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, testing with a knife to see if the potatoes are tender after 40 minutes. Remove the lid from the dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes, to brown the top.

Remove from the oven, cover and let rest for 1o minutes before sprinkling remaining green onions on top and serving.

This was so tasty that my kids asked for seconds. They did not know that their was cabbage involved.

3 comments:

Megan said...

It all looks good!

And I totally understand how you felt about not cooking - I had to force myself to do it several nights in a row last week. Thankfully we went out Saturday night - alone.

pam said...

I like the sound of that cabbage potato gratin. Must be my polish roots, because I love cabbage and potatoes

Coco said...

The cabbage & potato gratin sounds great. I think I'll try it in a near future, but as a main dish - I am just too lazy to spend almost an hour (including baking time, I know) for a side dish. Oh, my poor hubby.