Reminders of Grandmama















My grandmother's health hasn't been well and has little to no chance of getting better. Makes me very sad. Also makes me glad I took the time to learn some of her specialty recipes when I could, so I would be able to carry on her traditions and I would always have comfort foods that reminded me of her.

One of her specialities is Hawaiian spareribs, a meal requested at just about every birthday gathering we have as a family, and one I have shared with many friends. It is fairly simple to make, and I use it for a variety of things, not just spare ribs. I've made the sauce and used it on meatballs, chicken pieces and boneless pork tenderloin. But it's best use is with spare ribs, where you can get your hands in there and are able to lick up all the sweet sauce.

I had a pacakge of center cut short ribs in my freezer, and with my grandmother in mind, whipped up a batch of her sauce for a weeknight meal this week.

The sauce is fairly simple to make:

3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
pinch of salt
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 10 oz can crushed pinapple, with juice

(I hope that is right, I am doing it now by memory instead of the carefully protected paper I have where my grandmother wrote it out for me.)

Mix all these ingredients in a sauce pan and mix well. Cook over medium heat until it is thickenec and glossy (you will see the color change from cloudy to glossy as it boils.) Pour over ribs (or chicken, or meatballs, or whatever else you want to use it on), cover and bake at 350F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Reduce the time if you aren't using the ribs.

We always serve this with rice, to soak up the extra sauce so you don't miss any of its sweet, goodness. Even my children like this recipe.

P.S. Be sure to put extra napkins out on the table when you make these ribs. Or finger bowls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely recipe to share!

My best to your grandmother!