Egg-less pancakes

Before sending my oldest son off to school this morning, I made him pancakes to put into his lunch. He tends to like breakfasty-type things for his lunch, so why not pancakes?

I still had to make them egg-free, so I found a recipe that didn't include them here.

The batter for these was wierd. I don't know what else to call them. It was white and thick, even after I added an extra spash of milk into it. I couldn't ladle it out into the pan, I had to scoop it and spread it with the back of a spoon.

The picture of the left is the first batch of pancakes, shortly after going into the pan. They never did get the tell-tale bubbles around the edges that the recipe said would be there.



The picture on the right is after they had been flipped. This was still the first batch, and I always find my first batch looks golden like this, almost patchy, rather than a uniform color. All the rest of the batter cooked up normally, color wise.

Both children liked them, neither even noticing the lack of anything in them. I tried one as well, it was okay, but I usually don't eat pancakes without lots of blueberries in them (which I can't find anywhere, fresh or frozen, right now), so they tasted bland to me.

I bet the kids would like them with crushed up banana chips in them. Or chocolate chips. Or maybe banana chips and chocolate chips. Nah, that would be too much like dessert!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eggs provide a nice source of glyco-protein and lipo-protein. When denatured by heat the egg acts as binder for the rest of the ingredients, allowing the mix to solidify evenly and with a nice fluffiness. I presume there is an egg allergy? Your Veg recipe looks delicious. BTW your first batch looks great for the 'first batch' of pancakes. My first never look that good.

Anonymous said...

hi i stumbled upon your blog. lovely food pics u have here :) im a foodie myself too and its great to know likeminded ppl. take care!