I'm late! I'm late!

When Myriam announced she would be hosting the latest installment of Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging, I was excited. First, because I actually noticed who was hosting in advance this time, and have wanted to participate. Second because I actually had a recipe to submit, who's pictures were on my camera!

Who's pictures stayed on my camera, along with alot of other pictures, until right before we left for apple picking.

And now I'm late, as entries were due yesterday!

However, better late than never, even if this does not make the round up, I'd still like to post it.

Cheesy Corn Chowder with fresh chives. I made this last weekend when I had the urge for a warming soup for dinner. Despite the fact that it was likely I would be the only one eating it. And eat it I did. I enjoyed a bowl as my dinner, then had it for lunch for the next few days. Sweet corn, both smooth and crunchy at the same time. Slightly rich from the two cheeses, a hearty soup, yet not so hearty that it was heavy to eat.

And yes, I basically ate it by myself. One child wasn't feeling well and didn't eat at all that night. My husband ate a bowl, more out of politeness than anything else. He went looking for something else to eat after he was done his bowl. My youngest tried it, loved it, then hated it, then it was cold, and then when he finally went back to it, inhaled it. But did not ask for more.

Cheesy Corn Chowder
I made this recipe up as I went along. The surprising part is that I remembered to write down what I put into it.

6 cups chicken stock
1 baking potato, peeled and cubed
6 ears of corn, corn cut from the cobbs, cobbs reserved
1 1/2 tablespoons each olive oil and butter
medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp pepper
pinch of red pepper
1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
1 1/2 cup sharp white cheddar
4 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped

Place potato cubes and corn cobbs in bottom of a large stock pot. Cover with chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and keep at a gentle boil until potato is tender, 10-15 minutes. Remove cobbs and discard them. Keep stock warm over low heat.

While stock is boiling, heat large non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add oil and butter, melting together. Add onions, stirring to coat with the butter and oil. Add corn and garlic and mix again, sauteing until the corn is cooked slightly through, 5-10 minutes. You still want a tiny bit of crunch. Remove corn from the heat.

Add 3/4 of the corn into the pot with the stock and potato, along with the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Puree everything together using a hand immersion blender. It does not have to be completely smooth. Add remaining corn and both types of cheeses, stirring to combine. Heat until cheese has melted into the soup. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.

Serve in warmed bowls, sprinkled with the chives.

2 comments:

Janet said...

That looks delicious... AND I have the same placemats!

Deborah said...

This sounds wonderful! I love any kind of chowder!