Start your morning out right



I've had the recipe for these pancakes sitting in my in-box for awhile. An email from a friend, with her recommendation for "the perfect pancake mix" that she makes for her family. While we both work to feed our family healthy meals, in a few ways she is a bit more health conscious than I am (and her family will eat things that mine will not, legumes being a prime example.)

This is a two part recipe - part one for the dry mix that you can keep on hand, and part two for actually making the pancakes. A bit heartier than my family enjoyed, they aren't fans of textures inside pancakes, but I liked them. Though I think they need some cinnamon and blueberries. Don't all pancakes need blueberries?

The "Perfect" Pancake Mix

3 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour or oat flour or combo - I used the whole wheat
1 cup 7 whole grain cereal
1 cup cornmeal
4 tablespoons wheat germ (optional) - I didn't use this

Mix together and store in air tight container. If you are using wheat germ, you have to store it in the fridge.

For pancakes for 1 or two - I doubled this and made pancakes for all of us, plus a few left over
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt, buttermilk, sour cream or milk - I went with yogurt
1/2 cup pancake mix

Melt butter in pan. Lightly beat in the egg and sour cream (or whatever you use). Add mix and blend until smooth.

Heat your griddle and make pancakes, like this:

Good with warm syrup, with yogurt topping, with fruit, with whatever.

5 comments:

slush said...

Ill say thats starting the morning right! I need to get a griddle that size. Cooking a gazillion batches in a pan isnt cutting it for me.

Megan said...

Pretty cooktop - perfect for making pancakes :)

Yeah, there's quite a bit of stuff in there, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Sara said...

Those sound so hearty and good! I love pancakes from mixes because they are so quick. I've never made my own mix before though, but I'll give this a try!

Anonymous said...

I have never thought of making my own pancake mix before. What a cool idea. My husband usually takes care of breakfast on Sundays and he makes them from scratch. I'll bet he likes this idea...

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy and healthy. Thanks for sharing!