Magazine Mondays

Do you know how many food magazines you have in your house?

I do.

But only because I recently had to pack them.

And, no, they aren't all unpacked yet.

Ivonne is right. We have all these wonderful recipes from magazines, with beautiful, mouth-watering pictures. Why aren't we cooking them?

Well I am going to try.

If I want variety in my menu plan, and I want to make use of the resources I have, then cooking from the stack of magazines I had to box up and bring with me is a good way to go.

I "think"this came from a Canadian Living magazine. A more recent one, one I had pulled a page or two from before not packing it up. (Yippee! I was right, and found the recipe on the Canadian Living website too!)

It is called Mustard-Garlic flank steak, but needs more garlic to really be garlicky. It was good, tender and flavorful, just not very garlicky. And can someone tell me what exactly the rosemary sprigs did for the flavor?

This took a bit of advanced planning, either marinating it about 4 hours in advance, or as I did, overnight. Which works for me, overnight is a good time to marinate for.

No guarantees I'll be able to put a recipe up each week for Magazine Monday, but like the menu plan, I'm sure gonna try!

Mustard-Garlic Flank Steak
from Canadian Living


Using garlic press or knife, mince garlic. In glass baking dish, whisk together garlic, mustard, vinegar and oil. Add steak, turning to coat.

Place 2 sprigs of rosemary on top of steak; place 2 underneath. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. (Make-ahead:Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Discard rosemary sprigs.

Place steak on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium-rare.

Transfer to cutting board; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tent with foil and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain.

Canadian Living Magazine: July 2008

6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That looks pretty excellent. I can't tell you how many times I double the garlic in recipes.

Megan said...

Wow - you sure have been a busy little bee with all the planning. I am very impressed. With David gone for 3 weeks, I'm having a tough time planning dinners. Well, I take that back - I've got tonight planned!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

You never told us how many magazines you have. I have lot's.

BC said...

You are amazing. I can't believe all the wonderful meals, ideas and cookies you make.

Anonymous said...

This sounds really, really tasty. I love flank steak, so can just imagine the flavor of this. Nice one!

creampuff said...

I adore flank steak and every time I see a recipe for it I'm like, "Why don't I eat more flank steak?" Thanks for the entry!