TWD: Gooey Chocolate Cakes

Well it is my second week with TWD (That's Tuesdays with Dorie for those who live under a rock, one with no food near it.) I was a bit more prepared for this one, not rushing at the last minute. Or theoretically not rushing at the last minute. Reality was a bit different.

This week the choice was made by Leigh over at Lemon Tartlet. Her choice was for the Gooey Chocolate Cakes, found on page 261-262. A good choice, but then, really, is there a bad choice to be made from Dorie?

So I had a full week to do this, and planned to do it as dessert on Sunday night. Then my bbq was unsnowed (isn't that a nice thing to do for your wife?) and I ended up having a bbq for dinner that night, baking two loaves of sour dough bread and making the cakes at the same time! So in the end I was running, running, running, from one thing to another, with all the stuff ready to go for the final mix and then into the oven while we ate dinner.

I admit I don't understand the point of the finely chopped chocolate on top before baking the batter, as it didn't sink into the batter but only left an extra trail of chocolate. But what the heck, how can more chocolate hurt?

Now I had planned on making these either with creme anglaise, or ice cream, but ran into more time confusion. I didn't read through the sauce recipe long enough to catch the 24 hour rest period, until about 30 minutes before I put the cakes in the oven. And I had been in such a tizzy over the price increase to flour that I had refused to spend $8 on a carton of good quality ice cream to go with the cakes, thinking I was still going to make the creme anglaise.

Instead we had to eat them with whipped cream, such a hard ship to us all!

So far I've seen a number of variations on this, from mini ones, to those involving caramel. I will have to revisit this recipe, make it for company, maybe with milk chocolate and caramel. And plan ahead this time so I can make the creme anglaise, which I still haven't done!

15 comments:

Lori said...

They look so yummy with the whipped cream! I didn't quite get the finely chopped chocolate either, but you definitely can't go wrong with more chocolate! Great job!

Mary Ann said...

They look really good with the whipped cream on top. I might have to try that next time, as I know there will be a next time! Yummy!

Dolores said...

Chocolate and whipped cream. The *perfect* ending to a Sunday BBQ! Great job!

Robin said...

Yum! These look delish!

Tammy said...

I totally missed the 24 hour rest period as well!!! maybe that's why mine werent that gooey! yours look great!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

It does look eating gooey chocolate cakes with whipped cream was quite a trial. Poor you!

Cecilia said...

I didn't understand the point of the chocolate on top either, so I didn't add it. Considering that my cakes failed to be molten in the center, I sort of wished that I had the extra chocolate melting on top of them.

What did your family think of them?

Natalie said...

They look great! I made mine last minute so we didn't have ice cream either, but they were still fantastic, right?

Peabody said...

Yeah I skipped the chocolate shavings on top...too much effort :)
Yours look nice and yummy with whipped cream.

Thistlemoon said...

I love whipped cream, creme anglaise all of it! Anything with cream and I am there - that is my favorite kind of dessert!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)

slush said...

Milk chocolate and caramel sounds awesome, I may try that next time too. I love the whipped cream on top. Great job!

Angel said...

Wow your cake looks delectable. All that chocolate goodness, hope you had a giant glass of milk to wash it down!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Yum, your chocolate cakes look delicious! I too hope to try these again with some variations! $8 for a carton of ice cream! Wow, I had no idea!

Helene said...

Oh shoot! I think I just hurt my eye looking at the screen! They are perfect!

Jaime said...

i didn't understand the point of the chopped chocolate either..until i took them out. i think dorie intends for these NOT to be inverted, just removed... so that the chopped chocolate is on top... just my guess. so i photographed mine right side up and you can see how the chocolate looks