I scream for ice cream!

I'm sorry Meeta. I had time to make ice cream, I didn't have time to be creative about it. What with packing and cleaning, and children finishing school (and bringing home huge amounts of paper from their desks!)

And when I mean I didn't have time to be creative, I wasn't kidding! I didn't even go looking for a recipe. Instead I used a variation of the recipe I mentioned about here, though, start breathing again, I did NOT use 9 1/2 cups of whipping cream! Actually I didn't use any whipping cream, I didn't have any left, having given the last of mine to my son's teacher to use in his class. I did have half and half cream, 18% cream versus the 35% cream of whipping. I also had a can of condensed milk, and a mountain of strawberries.

Strawberry fields opened up for picking last week. My youngest had been bugging me for months about how it was almost time for us to go picking. So off we went to the field up the road from our house, hats on our head, basket ready.

So off I went. I took my children strawberry eating.

Yes, I said eating. See the picture of the baskets, nearly full? They were at my feet, and I was filling them. See my children? Further up the row, eating the berries?

I joked with the young lady running the stand that day that I was thankful she hadn't weighed the kids in, and wasn't weighing them out when we were done. She laughed and assured me that they could eat all they wanted, but I don't think she realized quite how many strawberries they could eat in a short time!

So I had alot of fresh strawberries that needed to be used fast, before they rotted and before we left for our vacation (which we will be doing very soon!)

I hope other bloggers were able to get more creative with their ice cream choices, giving me something to aspire to after the vacation, when the berries aren't so plentiful, and time is a bit more available!

Happy Monthly Mingle!

Strawberry ice cream

1 300ml can condensed milk
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
touch of vanilla extract
2 cups of 18% cream
smushed and cut strawberries

Mix everything together before adding to freezer can of ice cream machine. Churn for 20-25 minutes before transfering to a container and the freezer for at least 1 hour.

For more family friendly ice cream, do not turn on your machine on your kitchen counter just before you sit down to dinner, making dinner conversation nearly impossible.

Sometime after July 4th, check out Meeta's site for all the rest of the creative ice creams in the Monthly Mingle Round-up!

1 comment:

Brilynn said...

No need to apologize for a strawberry ice cream! I just made some of that too, it's wonderful!