Daring Bakers: Bakewell Tart, better late than not at all


The June Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Annemarie of Ambrosia and Nectar. They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart... er... pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800's in England.

I know I said it wasn't likely I was going to make the June Challenge, but BC disagreed with me and was determined we were both going to get it in, even if it was a little late.


My family gathered at her house this week with most of her family, for a wonderfully tasty meal (BC, what did you do with those beans? I loved them!) And while out kids played together, she and I got baking, making a gluten free version of the Bakewell Tart.


I admit (and I'm sorry Jasmine!), this challenge did not appeal to me at all. I'm not a huge almond fan, unless there is toffee involved, and jam desserts don't do a thing for me either. Which is why I had put it off and put it off, and then family and life happened, and I ran out of time. I'm really glad that BC made me do it though, cause this was actually quite good. Not at all what I expected.


We made a gluten free version and blind baked the pastry abit, but otherwise left the recipe alone. We could have put a bit more jam in it, but I take responsibility for this as I was doing the jam while BC measured the almond meal up, and I could have been a bit more generous with it. And better at making it smooth.


As a mark of how this was enjoyed, this was my plate. But could easily have been one of the kids, from either family. At least one kid asked for more.

Many thanks to our hostesses for this challenge, which proved to be a challenge of a different direction, as well as to BC for helping me get through it.

Want to know more about the Daring Baker's Challenges? Head on over to the Daring Kitchen where you will see alot more than Bakewell Tarts.

8 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I guess part of the Daring Bakers is not just taking on something I don't think I can do but it's also cutting loose from what I think I won't like.
I put way too much jam in mine. Yours look just right!

Annemarie said...

Glad the gluten free version was a success, and you have overcome prejudices in order to make it to the plate-cleaning stage. :)

BC said...

I'm glad we tackled this one together. We were pleasantly surprised.

The beans? Hmmm, let me see, I don't really remember but I used a pressure cooker to make them.

Shari said...

It turned out beautifully! And glad you enjoyed it. It's so much more fun baking something if you love eating it!

creampuff said...

Now that's teamwork! It looks fab!

Megan said...

How fun that you had a baking partner!

And although the tart didn't appeal to you at first, the empty plate tells a different story. :)

Elle said...

Look at that clean plate! Gluten free must have been a great way to go with this!

Anonymous said...

Your tart looks great!