When Mother Nature dumps snow on you....

You make ice cream, of course!


Well, after you manage to either shovel your way in, or out, of your home. In our case, it was shovel our way in, which we did, with the help of kind neighbors and their snow blowers.


The snow shoveling was yesterday, the ice cream from today, when the sun was shinning down on the mountains of snow that surround all of us. And being March Break for the kids, they were both out playing in it, with some of their friends. Until they got bored. (Which, to be fair, took several hours.)

So inside they came. Which sent me looking for a recipe to make with them, something easy, with a quick result, that would satisfy the children. Now numbering three instead of the usual two. Snow ice cream sounded about right to me.

And once again Mary came to my rescue with a recipe for the ice cream, before I even had a chance to go looking for one on the internet! She even knew how many liters in a gallon for me (3.8 for those of you who are curious.)

The three kids thought this was a crazy idea, making ice cream from snow, but none of them turned down the chance to try it. Especially when it came together super quick and they could try it right away. Two of the three kids loved it.

We went with vanilla, but next time might try the chocolate. Which I bet would get a three out of three.


Snow Ice Cream

1 gallon snow
1 cup sugar
1 cup whole milk
1 cup half and half
2 tbsp vanilla

Mix it all up, adding half and half first then enough milk to the
consistency you want. Then put in freezer for about 20 minutes if you
want "hard" ice cream and serve immediately if you want soft

If you want chocolate, add 1/2 a cup of liquid chocolate milk stuff and
cut back half and half by 1/3 of a cup

11 comments:

Gretchen Noelle said...

What a fun and silly idea! I am sure it tasted great!

Anonymous said...

ooo! this actually makes me miss the snow. growing up (in the mountains of Virginia) we used to do very similar to this. we would grab a cup, fill it with snow, then put in a splash of milk and vanilla extract. i absolutely loved it! thanks for bringing back the great memories!

jasmine said...

You know, I was thinking of you as I was digging out yesterday, wondering how big the dump was up there...

Glad to see you put the snow to good use!

j

Anonymous said...

Careful, though. There are different kinds of gallons.

There are 3.8 litres in a US gallon and 4.5 litres in a British gallon.

There are alos slight differences in ounces, which is why on Avent baby bottles sold in Canada, there are three sets of measurements shown on the bottle: US ounces, UK ounces and millilitres.

Big Boys Oven said...

this looks so amazing, got to say this is something new to me! How do you make sure the snow is clean?

breadchick said...

Glad the kids enjoyed the ice cream snow and I was glad to be of help! Made me miss my N. Michigan home, where the folks were digging out too!

My mom is making ice cream snow with her 2nd Graders today after I told her last night on the phone about you using our family recipe.

Deborah said...

We did this all of the time growing up!! Brings back such great memories!

Helene said...

Talk about creative! I love it!! I know I'd spending my days outside with the neighbors' kids doing some fun ice cream cones!

Angel said...

That is so Fun. My mom used to make this for us too but she always called it Snow Cream. Brings back memories.

Cheryl said...

I have never seen this is a million years. That is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

what a great idea! too bad it doesnt snow in the summer when you *really* want a dessert like that.

looks great!