The tradition carries on - with a twist!

The cookie party morphed into a steak and cake party (I made the Red Velvet and my HHDD cheesecake for that party), which has once again morphed, but this time into a cookie party!

(Good, cause I needed a break from cake!)

I didn't go getting creative for my contribution - I asked the birthday boy to pick what he wanted me to make. I know I left myself wide open to him picking anything, but it was a risk I felt I needed to take.

How bad could it be?

Well, let me tell you....

He picked Chocolate chocolate chip cookies. Expectations when it comes to chocolate chip cookies can be very high. And as my baking skills increase, expectations for anything I make keeps growing high as well. The pressure was on!

So where else would I turn to but back to Dorie and her My best chocolate chip cookies. The 'Playing Around' side bar had the variation for cocoa chocolate chip cookies, which was exactly what I needed.

I don't normally make drop cookies in the stand mixer, but that's what the recipe called for. Probably a good thing, though. I was feeling very lazy and mixing by hand would probably have been too much work for me just then.

Dorie calls for chunks of bittersweet chocolate, which I had lots of, but like I said, I was in a lazy mood. I also had lots of opened bags of chocolate chips. So I went with the chips instead. Of course two of the bags looked exactly alike, but weren't - I had forgotten to mark which bag was semi-sweet and which was milk chocolate. As much as I like chocolate, I do not like eating chips straight. So rather than try to taste test them and figure them out, I added both, making chocolate chocolate chocolate chip cookies.

I brought two dozen of them to our friends cookies party, where they were hmmmm'd and mmmmm'd over. Soft, slightly chewy, and very chocolaty.

Once again, Dorie does not let me down.

If you are looking for the recipe for this cookie, try page 69. I'd copy the recipe but then you'd have no incentive to go out and get your own copy of the book! (Or if you have it already - why haven't you made these yet?!? Oh wait, cause the whole book is good and we can only make things so fast!)

You know, since I bought this book, I have made a tonne of things from it (and I admit, I still haven't actually finished reading it!) And I don't think I've repeated a single recipe yet. Still so many to try.

Now if you will excuse me, there are some of the cookies left and they are calling my name.....

8 comments:

Ilva said...

Now I'm hungry! I just wonder what you would have done if he had chosen the Cake From Hell??

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I really wish I could just bake and bake from her book! I think I've made more recipes from that book than almost any other that I've had.
Lovely looking cookies.
Ahem, Do I hear several calling my name?!!

Lis said...

YUM!! Now you're talkin' Lisaspeak. hehehe The more chocolate the better! I baked the Korova cookies a couple nights ago, from the frozen dough I had made ohhh back in November?? They (I had to have 1 - quality control you know!) were still fabulous. Everyone at work went gah-gah over them. You just can't go wrong with Dorie. =))

Glad the cookie party went over so well! I've always wanted to have one of those parties. =)
xoxo

Jenny said...

Ilva, no chance of that happening! He requested cookies months ago, and wouldn't have touched the crepe part anyways!

Sorry Tanna, there are none left to call your name! You are probably hearing your own book calling to you!

Elle said...

There doesn't seem to be a single Dorie recipe that isn't wonderful.I like that you added the cocoa to these. The look great!
Since they are all gone, I'll have to pull out my own Dorie book and bake some up for my crew.

Brilynn said...

I love the variations that Dorie includes in her recipes. I've been combining variations from different recipes and getting some pretty good results. I made the coconut tea cake yesterday and added lime zest to the sugar and then drenched it in the rum syrup from the rum drenched vanilla cakes, very tasty!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Quellia, that book is amazing, isn't it? And these cookies look yummy, I don't think I could have only one or 2 and then stop eating. :)

Kelly-Jane said...

I've not had breakfast yet, and they looks so delicious - just what I need ;)