Now I bet you are expecting a recipe from Dorie!

Sorry to disappoint!

Actually, no I'm not. I loved this stuff. As odd as it looks, I loved every bite of it! Which I did not have to share!

Okay, little story....

Many years ago my husband and I went on a date downtown. I don't know why but we ended up going out for gelato and I decided to try the kiwi. It was so good!

Later, when I was pregnant with my youngest, I had a rare craving... for kiwi gelato. My husband, however, does not believe in running out at 3 am to satisfy a pregnant woman's cravings (even if he had been able to, the store long closed, far away and they probably wouldn't have had any anyways!) The craving was never satisfied.

About a month before I was due, we were downtown again, having dinner with friends. I was not feeling well at all, so when he asked me if I wanted to go, I just wanted to go home! Turns out I was in pre-labor - I gave birth 36 hours later, early. (I should have sent him to get me the stuff while we were there, so I could bring it home with me!)

It's been over 4 years since I've had the chance to go back to that gelato place, since that early labor, and I've not seen kiwi gelato anywhere else during the years. So I was disappointed when they didn't have any, and ordered the key lime instead (which was amazingly good!) When we got to the cash, I asked if they had any prepacked of kiwi. She responded by handing me a tiny spoonful of the gelato and said it was the last of the batch and sorry, they did not carry prepacks anymore.

So I had to make my own!

With nothing to go on but a brief taste, and the memory from years back, I went web searching. Isn't the web a wonderful place sometimes?

This is what I found.

Now I'm not sure if this is even close to what they make downtown. And that's actually okay. It was tangy, not too sweet, and soothing.

I doubled the batch. I only had 8 kiwi, but did it anyways.

Oh my was it good!

Now I wonder if I can recreate the key lime pie flavor?

20 comments:

Janet said...

That looks awesome.... I wonder where that Gelato place is?? Because I don't have an ice cream maker... maybe its time to get one.

Freya said...

I love the little black speckles in the ice cream - it looks so colourful and - I bet - refreshing!

Jenny said...

Janet, it is Picolo Grande downtown, we think on George Street.

Dolores said...

kiwi, in gelato... brilliant!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Yes, I really like the little black specks running lose in the cream!
Great story.

Lis said...

Looks and sounds amazing, Jenny - I love kiwi. Heck I love key lime even more - so I'd be happy with either or! hehee I'm so glad you found a good recipe out there. The internets is amazing for sure.

xoxo

Cheryl said...

Kiwi gelato, now that sounds really delicious.

Kelly-Jane said...

Kiwi gelato does sound lovely, mmm.

Peabody said...

I haven't tried it yet, but it is on my to do list. Maybe you can make it and let me know how it goes.


Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
6 large egg yolks
1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup bottled key lime juice (NOT regular lime juice, but specifically KEY LIME juice)
17 ounces jar marshmallow cream
4 crumbled graham crackers


In a heavy saucepan, bring cream to a simmer. Place the egg yolks in a bowl.
Slowly beat the hot cream into the egg yolks. Pour the mixture back into the pan, and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or eggs will scramble. Remove from heat.
Pour hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the custard to cool slightly. Then stir in the sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
Stir the cold custard well, then freeze in your ice-cream freezer according to manufacturer's instructions.
Fold the marshmallow cream and crumbled graham crackers into the ice cream when it is finished.

Janet said...

Thanks for the tip!! I went downtown to the market yesterday, to buy some fresh fruit and veggies and I took the kids to Picolo Grande. I was fully intending to try the key lime sherbet, but then I saw the tiramisu gelato....it was so good!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...kiwi gelato??

Dunno about that one but the photo sure makes it look good!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Quellia! I've never tried kiwi ice cream but I'd be willing to give it a go. I bet it's so refreshing!

anne said...

gelato is the madonna of desserts, i think -- it always remains sophisticated.
i just got back from a restaurant convention over the weekend and the gelato booths were by far the most popular.
none of them had a kiwi flavor, though -- i wish they had. yum.

-- anne, menuism.com intern
and gelato-licker

Karen Baking Soda said...

kiwi gelato..sounds good! Doesn't it discolor?

Jenny said...

The gelato ends up being a very pale green, not the bright vibrant you would expect from kiwi. But then the stuff I had at the gelato place wasn't green either - it was almost exactly the same color as mine.

Anonymous said...

I made this exactly as stated, and it is NOT anything like gelato, at least when made in a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker. The flavor was decent before being frozen or "ripened" in the freezer, but when frozen this turns into a rock, and when thawed slightly is slightly gritty and icey. Also, definitely not as smooth and creamy as gelato. I wouldn't waste the time on this.

Jenny said...

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like this deniz. I too made mine using my little Cuisinart Ice Cream maker. Yes it got hard in the freezer but leaving it out for 15 minutes or longer worked for me and I didn't find there was any noticable differenct in flavor or consistency. Mine certainly did not get icy but remained smooth and yummy!
Oh well, different strokes for different folks!

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious, I've never had kiwi gelato before but it sounds amazing. I'll have to make this in the summer.

Anonymous said...

don't you need to cook the kiwi to deactivate an enzyme that otherwise will turn the kiwi/milk product mixture into an inedible bitter mess. Am I missing step somewhere? Did no one else who made this recipe have this problem?

Jenny said...

No I did not have to cook the kiwi and had no problems with the recipe at all. It was creamy, tangy and just what I wanted!