The rest of the weekend

It certainly isn't perfect, and leans more towards a shuttle than an airplane, but it made my little guy very happy!

I finished this around midnight on Saturday for a Sunday party. When I walked away I wasn't happy with it but knew if I stayed up and kept looking at it, I'd be at it for alot longer.

One thing about this cake is that I free formed everything. The base of the plane is the same chocolate cake as I used for the star cake, baked in a 9x13 and cut down and stacked with strawberry jam in the middle, then curved slightly with a breadknife. The nose of the plane is a combination of the chocolate and vanilla cakes, cut and put in until I was happy with it. The tail, the wings and the back wings are all from a 9x9 vanilla cake that I cut various pieces off of to get the shapes I wanted.

This plane really needed more color but at midnight I kept looking at it trying to figure out what I wanted where and just couldn't, so left it as is. I didn't hear any complaints, not even about the big finger mark that was in the nose of the plane the next morning. (Though none of the 3 finger suspects would admit to touching it.)

When I brought this into the gymnastics party yesterday, I got alot of compliments and was also asked by several people if I did this for a living, did I have a card and did I take orders. I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. I'd like to play alot more, take a few more Wilton courses, and become more comfortable with the process before I go that way.

11 comments:

Angel said...

Wow your cake looks so amazing.
The shapes to make the plane look like they would be pretty difficult to form.

Gigi said...

TWO fondant cakes in one week? Girl your arms must be "guns" by now. The airplane cake is so cute!

Cheryl said...

I have I told you before how much I love these cakes on your post. Its been so long since I have worked with fondant and really decorated cakes. This just brings it all back. I am living vicariously through you.

Lis said...

Amazing job, Jenny! How fabulous is that? I am so impressed!!

xoxo

Sara said...

Oh my gosh! You did an incredible job!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That looks terrific! You did a fantastic job Jenny. On my to-do list this weekend is to explore more fondant designs.

Brilynn said...

Well done!
I'm wondering what my next cake with fondant will be. They're always a big hit!

Janet said...

Holy crap, that's amazing!! Your kids are so lucky!

Anonymous said...

That's so cute, Jenny! Great job!

Elle said...

What a masterpiece! Lucky kids. I'll bet a lot of parents would order a cake that wasn't even this complicated just to have one that you have made...you are very creative!

Caribbean Dreamer said...

It looks awesome! Great job!